Food ordering apps have changed the food delivery and pickup game for the better. With more and more retailers and restaurants adopting for these kinds of apps, consumers are placing fewer delivery and pickup orders over the phone and instead are opting to use a mobile app. Why? Because these mobile ordering apps offer a number of key benefits that more traditional methods of ordering over the phone or waiting in line cannot match.
Consumer Benefits of a Mobile Ordering App
Consumers are certainly downloading food ordering apps at lightning speed. When Chick-fil-A released its first app, it reached No. 1 in the app store during its first three days. These apps are popular for several reasons:
- There’s no more waiting in line or getting put on hold.
- Ordering ahead provides convenience during a busy day and allows you to pick up food on the go.
- You get the whole menu right at your fingertips, including items you may not have known existed.
- Loyalty reward points are easy to track directly through the app and lead to big savings if you order frequently.
Restaurant Benefits of a Mobile Ordering App
While these apps may be created for the customer, they achieve a number of important objectives that can greatly help out the restaurant or retail store as well.
- They can handle more orders; Chipotle claims it manages six more orders an hour when placed through a mobile app, as no one has to stop what they are doing to physically take the customer’s order and engage in small talk.
- Customer’s spend more through an ordering app than in person because they have more time to make a decision, the whole menu is in front of them and they typically want to score more reward points.
- Ordering accuracy improves — it is easy to misunderstand a complex order when someone is calling or even talking to you in person, but that doesn’t happen with a mobile app order because it is printed just how the customer placed it.
- Integrated loyalty programs ensure customers keep returning.
With more and more people turning towards mobile ordering app instead of picking up the phone to dial their favorite stores and restaurants, it is becoming more and more critical for these businesses to have a functioning and innovative app that caters to the current and future trends and needs of their customers. Knowing how to design and utilize such a mobile app will allow you to stand out among the competition and help achieve current and future business objectives.